I apologize for the lengthy review, but I felt it important to be as detailed as possible, and I promise sheer entertainment...
I accompanied my 22 year old daughter to this facility on 12/26. She slammed her thumb in the car door on Christmas Day. We opted to use ice/Ibuprofen rather than subject ourselves to the ER; most urgent care offices were either not open, or already closed. Was able to make an appt at the Mission Viejo office for early morning on the 26th. Filled out all info online beforehand and we were seen in a very reasonable amount of time. That’s where the positive stops.
The medical assistant assessed, left and came back saying the Dr. wanted her to remove the nail polish on the affected thumb. My daughter explained it was a powder gel polish that was not removable by polish remover alone. She left again and came back with pure acetone, which she insisted on trying, and, obviously it was useless.
Dr. Wilson, who should have probably retired 10-15 years ago, came in, took a look, attempted some ridiculous humor and said he would drill a tiny hole in the nail to release the trapped blood and relieve the pressure. As soon as he turned on the little gadget, I heard a WHOOSH and the entire blue doggy pee pad looking thing on the tray, which must have still had some ACETONE on it, caught on fire, with my daughter laying right next to it! It fell onto the floor, at which time Dr. Wilson proceeded to stomp it out with his foot. He opened the door, shouted “Fire!” and now his shoe is partially on fire! He continued to stomp out the burning pad, and the assistant showed up with the fire extinguisher and finally got the rest of the fire out. No smoke alarm ever went off. I was in complete shock! I grabbed my daughter and went out into the hall where they led us into the next room. The Dr. kept saying how in 45 years “this has never happened” (weren’t we the lucky ones). They apologized and the assistant said she refunded my $20.00 copay (gee thanks).
Once in the second room, after instructing my daughter to wash her hands with soap and water, Wilson got the hole drilled in her thumb nail, finished up with her and the assistant came back in to discharge us. My daughter asked the assistant if the Dr. could give her a note for work, as she is an esthetician (i.e. performs facials/skincare...not that she thought she would need to explain what that means).
Not until we are in the car and ready to leave, does she read the note which states, “Fit for duty without restrictions starting 12/27/2018”. SERIOUSLY?? She uses her hands in her job! She is in pain and still slightly bleeding; she CANNOT work with clients! The whole experience was something out of a SNL comedy sketch! The best part? When we got home, she was looking at her hand and noticed that there was a small, red mark on her index finger and that the tiny hairs just below the knuckle were gone.
She is going to be fine, but needless to say, we will NEVER be returning to that office. We should have gone to the one in RSM; never had an issue there.